Northamptonshire Beekeepers' Association (NBKA) Registered Charity No. 295593
Copyright © NBKA 2007-2018
Bees & Wasps
Winter in the Apiary
Events We Attend
Honey For Sale
MONTHLY TASKS - JUNE
1. If you have taken off the sealed rape honey make sure the hive has enough honey
to take them through periods when nectar is not available. If in doubt give them
4 litres of 50% sugar syrup.
2. Keep making inspections for queen cells and brood diseases.
3. Check your bait hives to see if you have new occupants; if so, feed them to help
draw out the foundation.
4. Make a feeder so that every hive has its own feeder.
5. Do you have sufficient bee excluders? three for two hives.
6. Fit varroa floors to every hive and carry out weekly checks for the presence and
amount of varroa. If you need to treat for varroa take the supers off the hive prior
In the summer a treatment with 3% oxalic acid in water or 15% lactic acid in water
trickled over the bees frame by frame will help them.